When you think of a bachelor’s pad in Scottsdale, you probably have a certain look in mind. Think lounge chairs, leather sofas, a complete entertainment system with a massive screen, and maybe even a fully stocked bar.
And then there’s the bedroom—a space for the gentleman of the house to relax and a private retreat where you can kick back and chill. Aside from having the right furniture and décor, it’s important to have the right lighting for the bedroom, which will have a huge impact on its look and atmosphere. With that being said, follow these four steps to get the best lighting for your bachelor pad’s bedroom.
1. Ambient Lighting
Ambient lighting adds mood to any space.
- A stylish way to add ambient lighting to a bedroom is with cove lights. These are basically tube lights hidden in the walls and ceilings of the room. They look beautiful when placed behind crown molding, tray ceilings, and ledges. They can also be placed behind your headboard to give your bed that ethereal glow, while also shining light on art.
- You can also achieve the same effect by using LED strip lights or LED string lights (for a more affordable option). String lights will give your bedroom a soft and folksy-indie vibe. If that’s your thing, hang a bunch of these lights on your windows or behind your bed.
2. Multiple Fixtures
If you want to make an impression with your lighting, don’t just think of one main fixture. Instead, layer your lighting.
- Start with having a group of small pendant lights to create the look and feel of a chandelier, minus their high cost and often too-old or too-fancy look.
- Recessed lights can be a bit too boring, so try a set of track lights instead . They offer enough brightness and give the space a more modern look.
- Never underestimate lamps. A couple of floor and table lamps placed in a corner not only adds brightness to the room, they’re also decorative pieces themselves.
3. Revive Beautiful Fixtures
Get crafty and take on the simple task of fixing up an old light fixture. Remember, you don’t need to have brand new pieces when decorating your bedroom.
- For unique and interesting light fixtures, head to your local flee market, a thrift store, or even an antique shop.
- An old lamp paired with a new shade can turn into a stylish and one-of-a-kind feature in the room.
- You can also get creative and add your own decorative flair to the bedroom. Think of using jars, vases, old beer and wine bottles as light fixtures. Just add a light bulb and you have a creative fixture for your space.
4. Natural Light
When it comes right down to it, nothing comes close to natural sunlight when lighting your room. So, during the day, keep your windows clear of any heavy covers and curtains so you can let the sunlight in.
- Solar tubes and skylights are also great outlets for more natural lighting. They’re also great accent pieces and allow some cool moon and night sky viewing at night.
- Mirrors and reflective decorative pieces are a neat way to bounce sunlight around the room.
When it comes to lighting a bachelor’s pad bedroom, consistency is key. Use your lighting to flatter the room’s existing style, which will also ensure some level of uniformity. When in doubt, talk to lighting designer.